Friday, August 31, 2012

I drive a mom car

...and I love it!

Hello, Toyota

Goodbye, Mazda.
I don't miss my old car.  I loved that car and we had 7 good years together, but it wasn't a good fit for our family anymore, so hello mini-van, welcome to the family!  I'm sure I will miss my Mazda 6 when winter comes and I no longer have heated seats, but I think I will survive ;)

And here is a recipe for your Friday afternoon--easy, tasty, and great for entertaining (which we did last night, when I made this):

Slow Cooker Kalua Pig

  • 5 pound Boston Butt roast, preferably local
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Alaea Red Tawaiian Coarse Sea Salt
  • 5 peeled garlic cloves
 1. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with 3 slices of bacon.
2. Cut into the meat with a knife and tuck in the garlic cloves.
3. Rub the outside of the meat with the sea salt.
4. Place the roast on top of the bacon.
5. Cook on low for 16 hours.
6. Shred meat and enjoy!

Truth be told, I used a 3 pound chuck roast because that's what I had...and cooked it on low for 8 hours.  Super yummy!

And what did I do with the rest of my bacon?

Roasted Broccoli and Bacon

  • 2 bunches, organic broccoli
  • 5 peeled garlic cloves
  • 4 slices of bacon cut into bite-size pieces
  • a few good glugs of avocado oil
  • salt & pepper
 1. Wash broccoli and cut into florets (hubby likes the stems, so I leave as much of the stems on as possible).
2. Toss broccoli, garlic and bacon into a gallon zip-lock bag until ready to roast.
3. When you are ready to roast, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Add avocado oil and generous amounts of salt and pepper to the zip-lock bag and shake.
5.  Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
6. Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes, flipping the broccoli every 10 minutes or so.

Enjoy!

Both of these recipes are "Paleo."  I had not heard of Paleo until recently, but I'm finding that the recipes are both yummy and easy to make :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay...welcome to the mini van world!! Its sooo wonderful! So mom friendly! Thanks for the recipes...I'll have to try them sometime...you always make such yummy things! Miss our dear friends! Talk with you soon!

    ReplyDelete